Mobile Quickstart Guide
Getting started with Dolomite on mobile is quick and easy. This guide will walk you through every step from setting up a wallet to trading and earning on Dolomite. Feel free to move past the steps you're already familiar with or have already completed.
Preparing your wallet
Dolomite will work with any mobile wallet that has a web3 compatible in-app browser. We recommend using MetaMask, which this guide will show you how to set up. If you already have MetaMask or another compatible wallet on your mobile device, and are familiar with Arbitrum, feel free to skip to the next step.
1. Get the MetaMask app for your mobile device | 5 minutes
- Go to https://metamask.io/download/ to find the link to MetaMask on your device's app store, and install the app.
- After installing, you’ll have to go through a brief initial setup to set a password and store your recovery phrase. Follow any instructions it shows you.
2. Fund your wallet | 5 minutes
- If you already have an Ethereum wallet, you can import it into MetaMask by following the instructions here.
- If you have Ethereum on an exchange, you can send it to your new MetaMask wallet. Tap your wallet address to copy it, and send Ethereum to that address.
Your wallet address begins with "0x" and can be found in the middle of the home screen of MetaMask, it looks like this:
3. Add the Arbitrum network to MetaMask | 1 minute
Dolomite currently runs on an Ethereum layer 2
. Arbitrum is the most widely used Ethereum Layer 2, and allows users to interact with Dolomite with much lower gas fees and much faster transaction times.
- Arbitrum runs in parallel with Ethereum, but is a separate network. To transact on it, you'll need to switch from Ethereum to Arbitrum.
To start, at the top of the MetaMask home screen, tap where it says "Wallet" and under it "Ethereum Main Network" to open the list of available networks.
Next, tap on "Add a network
Tap "Add" on the row that says "Arbitrum One".
Tap "Approve" when prompted, then tap "Close".
- You've successfully added Arbitrum to MetaMask!
- Now when you tap on your network selector at the top of MetaMask, you will see "Arbitrum One" as an option along with "Ethereum Main Network". You can freely switch between the two networks from here, depending on if you want to interact with the Ethereum main net or the Arbitrum network.
- If your wallet has assets on the Ethereum main net and you switch your wallet to Arbitrum, you won't see your assets displayed in your wallet any more. Don't worry, this is normal. When you have Ethereum main net selected as your network, it shows the assets that exist in your wallet on Ethereum. When you switch to Arbitrum, it displays the assets in your wallet on Arbitrum. in order to move your assets over from Ethereum to Arbitrum and use them on Dolomite, you'll need to "bridge" your assets.
- Once your assets are bridged to Arbitrum, you will see them when Arbitrum is your selected network on MetaMask. You will then be able to use those assets on Dolomite, as well as hundreds of other dApps that run on Arbitrum.
4. Bridge your assets to Arbitrum | 10-60 minutes (depending on congestion)
- To bridge your assets to Arbitrum, you'll want to go to the Arbitrum Bridge.
- For a complete guide on how to bridge your assets to Arbitrum, we recommend following the official Arbitrum Bridge Tutorial.
5. Using your mobile MetaMask wallet with webpages | 30 seconds
In order to use your MetaMask wallet with crypto-enabled webpages, you can’t use your normal mobile web browser. You have to use the one inside the MetaMask app. This is how you'll interact with Dolomite, as well as other crypto-enabled webpages. Here's how to use it:
In the MetaMask app, tap the menu icon in the upper left corner.
Select “Browser” from the menu that appears.
Enter the URL of the website you’d like to go to in the field “Search or Type URL”, or tap the bar at the top of the app where it says “Browser”.
When you’re already on a web page, tapping the top bar where it displays the website’s URL will allow you to go to a different page.
6. Go to Dolomite
Now that you have your wallet set up, assets bridged and ready, and know how to use the MetaMask browser, you're ready to go to Dolomite!
- Make sure you have "Arbitrum One" selected as your network.
- Go to https://app.dolomite.io/ and tap "Connect Wallet" in the lower left corner of the screen if your wallet doesn't connect automatically.
- You're ready to start trading and earning on Dolomite!
This guide will walk you through getting started using the basic features on Dolomite. Once the assets are on Dolomite, they'll be available for trading and will immediately begin earning interest.
When you first go to Dolomite you will likely be on the main exchange page. To get to other pages, such as the balances page where you can deposit and withdraw assets from your wallet:
Tap the menu icon in the upper right corner of the screen to open the navigation menu.
- From there you can navigate to anywhere in the Dolomite application.
2. Depositing crypto from your MetaMask wallet onto Dolomite.
To begin trading and earning on Dolomite, you will need to deposit assets from your wallet onto Dolomite.
- To start, make sure you’re on the balances page here: https://app.dolomite.io/balances
- This page shows the balances of the assets you currently have on Dolomite as well as in your wallet, and allows you to deposit and withdraw assets from your wallet onto Dolomite.
Scroll down until you see the panel with “Deposit” and “Withdraw” at the top. This panel allows you to move assets between your wallet and Dolomite.
Select the token you’d like to deposit from the dropdown on the right of the input field.
Enter the amount you’d like to deposit. If you are depositing your ETH, make sure to leave some ETH in your wallet to pay for gas fees.
- If this is the first time depositing a token onto Dolomite, you’ll first be asked to “unlock” the token. This only has to be done once per token, and essentially is your wallet allowing Dolomite to work with that token in future transactions you initiate.
In the MetaMask screen that pops up, tap “Confirm” at the bottom.
- Wait for the unlock transaction to complete. There’s no need to reload the page, it will update automatically when the transaction completes, as does everything on Dolomite. This should only take a few seconds.
After the token is unlocked, the button will display “Deposit”.
- Tap it to deposit your tokens onto Dolomite from your MetaMask wallet, approving the transaction on MetaMask when prompted.
- This will also only take a couple of seconds to complete and there’s no need to reload the page, it will update automatically.
- After the deposit is completed, you should see your updated balance on the top panel on the page, as well as the percent interest your deposited assets are earning through margin lending.
- Repeat the process as needed for any other assets you'd like to deposit onto Dolomite.
- With your assets deposited to Dolomite, you're ready to take advantage of all the features that Dolomite has to offer, and can start trading and earning!
3. Add to a liquidity pool
By being a liquidity provider, you can earn trading fees as traders use the pool that you supply liquidity to. These fees are earned in addition to the margin lending interest that your assets earn just by being on Dolomite.
- Manage pools here: https://app.dolomite.io/pool
- You can add to a liquidity pool on the Pool page. Dolomite’s trading is built on AMM Pools, which essentially means that all trading is done against pools of liquidity provided by users, allowing the community of users to be the exchange’s market makers, as well as earn rewards from trading fees.
- The traders pay a fee on every transaction, and most of that goes to liquidity providers. You can be one of those liquidity providers by adding your tokens to a liquidity pool (a pool of two assets that people will trade against), and you’ll earn interest on those funds in the form of fees paid by traders (in addition to interest paid by margin traders).
To add to a pool, select the two assets for the pool you'd like to contribute to. When you select the assets, you can see the current interest that the pool is paying, however this changes depending on usage and liquidity.
Then tap the deposit button. On the panel that comes up, enter the amount that you'd like to deposit. You will need to deposit equal values of both assets. When you've entered the amount, tap the submit button, and approve the transaction on MetaMask.
Dolomite offers easy Uniswap-style swapping of tokens.
- Navigate to the trade page: https://app.dolomite.io/trade
- Select the two assets you'd like to trade between using the dropdowns at the top of the page.
- Use the chart and stats tabs at the top of the page to learn more about the market. The chart tab shows you a TradingView chart with price history of the market, and the stats tab shows you a depth chart of liquidity in the market as well as other relevant market stats.
When you've selected the assets you'd like to trade between, you can toggle the "from" and "to" asset by tapping the arrow between the two input fields.
- Enter the amount of the "from" asset that you'd like to trade to the "to" asset, or enter the amount of the "to" asset that you'd like to receive, and the other amount will be calculated for you.
When you've entered the amount you'd like to trade, tap the submit button to initiate the trade. You'll be prompted to approve the transaction on MetaMask, and once you do, the trade will be executed. It should only take a couple of seconds to process.
Placing trades will move the market price on the exchange. For example, on the ETH/USDC market, buying ETH will increase its price. The size of this price move corresponds to the amount of liquidity currently in the liquidity pools. The same size trade will have a larger price impact on a less liquid pool compared to a more liquid pool.
5. Open a margin position
On Dolomite you can open a leveraged margin position using any listed asset against any other listed asset. This allows you to earn greater returns on price movements than you would with a spot trade, but also exposes you to greater risk.
- Navigate to the trade page: https://app.dolomite.io/trade
- To open a margin position, start by selecting the assets you'd like to trade at the top of the page.
- Next, select the "Margin" tab on the trade panel.
- You'll see one asset marked as "short" and the other as "long". Because Dolomite allows you to margin trade any listed asset against any other listed asset, there is no set "base" asset to margin trade against. Instead, your position gains value when the "long" asset gains value against the "short" asset. This can be use for more traditional margin trades, such as longing ETH against USDC, where the position gains value as ETH goes up in USDC price. But it can also be used for more interesting trades, such as longing ETH against WBTC (the position gaining value as ETH gains value against BTC), or longing LINK against ETH (the position gaining value as LINK gains value against ETH). Those positions can also be interpreted in reverse, for example longing LINK against ETH is the same as shorting ETH against LINK, meaning the position gains value as ETH loses value against LINK.
When you've settled on your long and short assets, you'll want to select your leverage. The greater the leverage, the greater the potential reward, but also the greater risk. A 2x leverage position will gain value twice as fast as the price increases, but it will also lose value twice as fast. A 20% drop in price will be enough to liquidate a 5x position. Choose wisely.
Enter the deposit amount for your position. This is the amount that will be deposited as collateral for the position, and the total position size will be the deposit amount multiplied by the leverage.
When you've entered your deposit amount, you can see information such as the total position size, the trade amount, liquidation price, and more below the "Open Position" button.
When you're ready to open the position, tap the "Open Position" button. You'll be prompted to approve the transaction on MetaMask, and once you do, the position will be opened. It should only take a couple of seconds to process.
6. Manage a position
You can manage your open positions to check their profit or loss and how close they are to liquidation, as well as add and remove collateral from the position to manage its health.
- Your open positions can be seen on the panel at the bottom of the page after tapping the "Positions" tab. The number of open positions is shown next to the tab.
- For each open position, you can see which assets are involved, the leverage, the profit/loss, and the liquidation price.
- Tap on a position row to expand it for more information.
- After tapping to expand, you can tap the "Manage Position" button to see more information and manage the position.
- The manage position panel that comes up after tapping "Manage Position" displays more information about the position, and also allows you to add and remove collateral from the position.
- Removing collateral will bring your position closer to liquidation, and adding collateral can help to avoid liquidation.
- Tap the "Add/Remove" button next to where your position's collateral is displayed to add or remove collateral from the position.
- As you type an amount into the input field, you will see its effect on the position, including the new liquidation price, leverage, collateralization rate, and more.
- Currently you cannot withdraw more collateral than the amount of your initial deposit.
- From the manage position panel or from the expanded position row, you can tap the "Close Position" button to close your margin position, returning your collateral with any profit added or losses removed.
7. Check your account history
The History page makes it easy to look back at all your trades, transfers, and pool interactions.
- Navigate to the History tab or this link: https://app.dolomite.io/history
- This is a history of your deposits and withdrawals on Dolomite, as well as your trades and margin positions.
You can tap on rows to expand them to show more information. For margin positions, this will show the transactions that occurred to that position when applicable, such as opening the position, adding or removing collateral, and closing the position.
The transfers tab shows all deposits and withdrawals from your wallet onto Dolomite, with the amounts and the date.
The pooling tab shows all your liquidity pool interactions.